21 February 2005

February 21, 1965

"Brothers and sisters, let me tell you, I spend my time out there in the street with people, all kind of people, listening to what they have to say. And they're dissatisfied, they're disillusioned, they're fed up, they're getting to the point of frustration where they are beginning to feel: What do they have to lose? And when you get to that point you're the type of person who can create a very dangerously explosive atmosphere. This is what's happening in our neighborhood, to our people. I read in a poll taken by Newsweek magazine this week, saying that Negroes are satisfied. Oh yes, poll you know, in Newsweek, supposed to be a top magazine with a top pollster, talking about how satisfied Negroes are. Maybe I haven't met the Negroes he met. Because I know he hasn't met the ones that I've met."

This excerpt was taken from a speech delivered in Detroit on February 14, 1965, hours after his house was firebombed and a week before he was murdered.


young malcolm x
In Memory of Malcolm X
(Photo courtesy of www.malcolm-x.org)

1 comment:

  1. It makes me mad when I hear the young Congolese in Brussels is wasted, and bound to fade away in belgian prisons http://www.rfi.fr/fichiers/MFI/CultureSociete/621.asp

    ReplyDelete