09 December 2007

The Facebook Effect

Good grief, it's been a while...

Well it's not like I wasn't warned, I just didn't want to believe it: Facebook can have a disastrous impact on a blog. So in my case, though my Facebook profile is quite developed, my poor blog is looking like a neglected child...

Obviously, I'm enjoying my Facebook self. I've got a decent amount of friends and since most of them are people I actually know and like, I have no complaints about that. There are also some cool applications that could take up quite a bit of my time, if I allowed them to. Actually, I'm thinking of the Movies application and the night I spent hours searching for cool clips from my favorite films and adding them to my profile. Time well spent, I assure you...

The thing with Facebook is that there the applications do the talking for me. God knows what I'm saying about myself with Filthbook, but Virtual Bookshelf and iLike perhaps balance my image. And then there are the postings from my friends that may give some hints about me based on whatever it is they're saying to me or sending me. Then there are the Questions I ask, the Groups I belong to, and the Causes I support, which must also offer a glimpse into my soul. Or maybe not, who knows??

I suppose I have finally returned to my blog because I just need to speak for me myself; and not speak for me by displaying applications or groups that i find interesting. I'm not sure I have anything particularly interesting to say here these days, but I'm back nevertheless and let's just see what happens, shall we?

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I know how you feel.

    When I started my weblog, it worried me that I wouldn't have time to maintain both the hand-written diary and the digital life notes. Fortunately, I manage to keep my daily diary and update my blog regularly.

    After I joined Facebook, it worried me again that I wouldn't be able to maintain both these two cyber pages at the same time. Unfortunately, I can't, indeed. That's the reason why there are still on average three new entries on my blog every month but almost nothing on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wei! Now you've raised another really important issue...my journal. If you think my blog has been suffering, then you should see my journal. It really is important for me to write daily (or at least fairly regularly) in my journal whether I'm feeling good or bad. If I don't, when I go back to read it, my life seems to be one long bitch session about some dating catastrophe, because like many people I only write in my journal when I'm annoyed.

    Ah well, I have to find a way...

    ReplyDelete