03 April 2005

Carolina by 3 over Illinois

Although the world (at least according to me) doesn't make a lot of sense these days, college basketball still does. Of course that's because I'm a Carolina alum whose nerves have been stretched to the limits during the NCAA tournament. Compounding my misery is the fact that no one I know in Berlin cares about college basketball, though I've spotted a few hip hoppers wearing Carolina baseball caps. I asked one kid about it and he said that his friend got it for him when he was in the States, that he didn't know anything about the University or the teams, but that the light blue really matched his eyes.

Okay, whatever. We've made it to the finals and that means I will spend Monday night tossing and turning (much like I did on the night of the presidential election when BBC Radio led me to believe that Kerry had a chance before I drifted off to sleep).

Like I said, whatever.

My brother John, who is a basketball coach at Texas Southern University, is at the Final Four and you'd think he'd get his big sister a T-shirt or something. Particularly as I introduced him to Carolina players when I was a student and he was a little kid. We'll see..

In any case, it promises to be a great matchup and I guess I'll have to be content with the excellent coverage from the LA Times, which is where I swiped the photos.

Go Heels!!!

Carolina's Sean May
Carolina's SEAN MAY

Illinois' Luther Head
Illinois' LUTHER HEAD

1 comment:

  1. I recently discovered there is an Inez, NC about 1hr drive from Raleigh NC. My name being Inez, I've since been inspired to find other cities with the same name. Using GOOGLE I found your blog, and was so tickled that I had to say hello. Hope you're having a wonderful day!

    Inez W.

    ReplyDelete