29 September 2008

I've Got the Music in Me

What a truly glorious thing it is to wake up singing. Particularly if that music is really only coming from your own head.

That's what happened to me this morning. I don't have a radio or a stereo; my MacBook takes care of all of my music requirements at the moment. Yet at 8:00 this morning I woke up singing the New Radicals, having used their hit, "You Get What You Give" as the soundtrack to a dream I was having. Actually, the song was the focus of the dream. I was being sent on an errand in a sparsely populated high school and it slowly dawned on me that to the extent that there were any students and teachers in the classrooms, they were all listening to the same song. And NOT because it was being piped in through any PA system. I actually watched one teacher put the LP (no, not CD) on the turntable and cue the song to the exact spot being played around the school. Weird, huh?

I'm not sure what any of that means, but I have to say that it was a wonderful thing to wake up singing; and not just any song, but a youth anthem about being true to yourself. The fact that I'm a long way from youth doesn't matter. Old or young, we all need to embrace--at least for four and a half minutes--the feel-good notion that joy comes with having the courage to follow our dreams.

And that today happens to be my birthday, I think the dream is the universe's special way of extending greetings and good wishes. Or whatever. I just know that I was really happy when I woke up singing.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!! I guess you got the music in you. LOL!! You're only as old as you feel. Enjoy your day!!

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Blog search picked u up this morning. Reading "waking to music". That music was Gregg Alexandre. That brought me here.

    Why.

    This is exactly the same way i dream. Music has always inspired me. As i have aged the problems i run in my head come to me in music. When i awake. i wake to the right somg singing the lyrics even thought i havent heard the song in years. I like you awoke to NR in my head.

    Two Examples:

    I had run out of words of encouragement to a friend with Leukemia. Woke up singing this song

    ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R6UH3k4ksg

    Gifted it to him on itunes. Got the result i was looking for.

    Feeling down and became unsure of even a close friends judgments about me. Dreamed about it and woke up singing this.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8

    Even thought i was a child, the only time i heard this song. havent even remembered it till that morning. There it was in my head words and lyrics.

    Add to that my Enjoyment of everything Gregg Alexander has ever done. And refuses to ever do again. I find Puzzling and disappointing.

    Well couldn't help deciding to read you blog and commenting.

    music plays a role in all our lives. Its something unique about the human conditions survival. like a soundtrack to the movie of our lives. Artiest have many motives for their creations. Dolly Parton once said to me i do it for the people.

    ReplyDelete