22 January 2009

Eating Frogs into Extinction

You know how it is: you've got the remote in hand and you're channel-surfing mindlessly, when suddenly an image catches your eye and your brain starts to melt. That was the story on Saturday morning when I made my breakfast, turned on the tube, and was soon confronted with a report on frog farming.

Frog farming? WTF?

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much, but how much I don't know about the world continues to amaze me.

In any case, I was too stunned to immediately start grabbing screen shots, so my readers will be spared pics of slaughtering and skinning frogs. Already skinned frogs, however, are on the menu:


Since I missed the beginning of this report, I can't exactly say where this was taking place, but it was somewhere in Asia. The owner of the bistro killed and skinneded the frogs himself, then tossed them into pots of whatever, bubbling away on the stove.

According to the report, this guy has the best frog dishes in wherever this story was filmed.

Okay, so I knew that frogs (well, their legs at least) are popular in France, but I did not know that they are also quite popular in the United States and in Asia. In fact, according to a recent study, frogs may be facing extinction not only due to poor environmental conditions, but because they're so yummy.

According to UN figures, global trade in frog meat has soared in the past 20 years. France and the US are the two largest importers, with France importing between 2500 and 4000 tonnes each year since 1995. Indonesia exports more than 5000 tonnes annually, mostly to Europe. Frogs' legs are also very popular in Asian cuisine.

Wow. That's a lot of frog meat. And while I'm intrigued that so many people around the world think that frogs are tasty, I just can't get past the fact that they're frogs . . . which makes no sense given that I gladly eat eels. Ah well, if you've had frog meat drop me a line and let me know what you think about it.

Cute, aren't they?


Images courtesy of Phoenix

6 comments:

  1. I often had a frog as a pet for a few weeks kind capture and release program. Hillbillies here in Tennessee do go on Frog Gigins.
    They go out with flashlights and terrorize the little creatures. On a farm i spent several summers on i refused to go on the Gigging and was told i had to eat two legs. It was a traumatic experience, Well maybe not that bad but i did and to my own surprise it is good. My first realization of like the sign says at the rabbit farm down the road
    Rabbits for sale Pets / Meat

    Frog legs do taste like Chicken.

    I spare you the rabbit and dumplings stew story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't judge you Marty. When I was a little kid and visiting my grandmother (in rural NC), I tried to perform open heart surgery on a frog. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that the procedure -- performed with a sharp stick -- was unsuccessful :-(

    I've had the feeling ever since that frogs I encountered knew what I had done and hated me for it. Then again, I am delusional on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delusional on one level is bad especially if its the only level you live on. If you live and think on many levels using one as an escape is required.

    The fact that the surgery you performed was for life knowledge, its allowed. The fact that you remember it today goes further that you learned a valuable lesson about life and death that day.

    Humans have an advantage over frogs. We have bigger brains but they can be Poisonous and we are often stupid.

    Doc Inez was contemplating being a surgeon when she grew up. Lets try surgery on this Frog. The Patient did not survive. Dr Inez decided that wasn't the type Dr she wanted to be. Survival of the Patient is in your hands and they can die. Time to make career change.

    It's not that frogs hate you. They know what you did that's true.
    Its that like humans if you can give you life to help another or make the world a better place. Any species or at least the good members of that species will line up for the opportunity.

    If you have two choices one die for the the lessons of a lifetime and humanity or simply as exotic food for the simple minded.

    Give that kid a stick I've had a good life. I'm ready.....

    There not following you they are just reminding you. The lesson you learned that day continues. Your now are making the world aware of there plight.

    The needs of the many out weight the needs of the few or just one Frog in NC.

    This now also reminds me of a Squirrel story as well.

    marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dude, thanks so much for that!! You are quite the philosopher and I think it's time I started commenting on YOUR blog. Where is it?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inez
    i do not have a blog. started one but didn't have a lot to write about. Mainly Television and stage experiences. i should start again but I'm better a commenting than finding interesting things.

    you on the other hand have the ability to locate all kind of cool things to comment on.

    hope ya don't mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not at all!! I'm happy you find my bizarre collection of stuff interesting. Thanks very much for your comments.

    ReplyDelete