31 January 2009

Prostitutes and Tax-deductible Corsets

I have always been fascinated with the prostitutes on Oranienburgerstraße. Yeah, they're beautiful, but that's not the point. Most of them look like they could kick your ass with little or no effort. And then there are the corsets, which create the most amazing tiny-waist effect I have ever seen outside of that Research magazine issue about weird body stuff.

In any case, the article in The Local exploring the popularity of the corset in Berlin's prostitution scene is interesting enough, but to the extent that it reminded me that the oldest profession is legal in Germany and the corsets are, therefore, tax-deductible . . . well, let's just say it made me a bit crazy. No, I don't have anything against prostitutes deducting their corsets as legitimate business expenses, but it just reminded me that I forgot to save my receipt for the colored pencils -- essential for a copy editor -- I bought a couple weeks ago.

I could certainly learn to pay more attention to my business expenses from these ladies, that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. We Americans can be so hypocritical about this subject. How we attempt to force morality threw laws is just stupid but the Church insists we operate in this constant state of Hypocrisy.

    We have the same type street here in Nashville, With friends or going to lunch with co workers we play Ho not a Ho as we drive down the street. i like the Corsets though how difficult could they be to remove. Is there a fair trade issue once there removed. Grounds im not getting what i was paying for? I just happy they pay taxes what a great concept.

    So nothing is lost in translation.

    Hoe.. Digging Garden instrument.
    Ho.. Prostitute
    Ho Down.. hillbilly dance or party.

    English is so weird

    Now the joke

    A guy from New York goes in to a hillbilly bar some body hollers How Down and the Guy looks because he though his date has fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ... there's a LOT of hypocrisy over there when it comes to sex and/or the human body. For example, do you think you would ever see this commercial on TV in the US?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtlTTlS_990

    As for removing the corsets, I'm not sure whether they do or not. Interesting question actually. Next time I'm over there, I'll ask.

    ReplyDelete