18 June 2009

Don't ask if you don't want to know

I've been single for several years now and have probably reached that point where I'm too old and too independent to be a good relationship candidate. In fact, it's become so obvious that I'm kind of losing track of what I used to be like in relationships. That was clear last night as I watched Sophie, a Danish short film on Arte. In the film, Thomas and his pregnant wife Sophie are on their way to the movies and chatting about friends of theirs who have recently had a child and who are no longer apparently interested in sex. Okay, the husband is, but after ten months the wife still isn't. Suddenly, Sophie asks Thomas if he has ever been with a prostitute. His truthful answer to her question leads to a rather bizarre reaction.

As her anger mounts, it seems that it doesn't matter that Thomas' visit to a prostitute happened long before he met her or that it only happened once. It mattered a great deal, however that the prostitute was black. As they continue walking, they pass by a live sex show establishment and Sophie demands that they go in. Don't worry, I won't spoil this one for you!

Sophie describing the scene to Thomas

Watching the film, I was outraged by Sophie's behavior . . . as if I had never been that stupid. Last night and years ago from being vulnerable and in love, I was convinced that I would never have been dumb enough to ask a question whose answer might break my heart.

And then I went to bed . . . and woke up.

What a difference the light of day makes. Good grief, I think I was the champion of these silly-ass questions and skillfully used them to create the drama that would eventually help me ease out of relationships that weren't working. And no, I'm not talking about "Does this dress make me look fat?" No, these beauties were asinine creations like, "If you didn't know me, but somehow met my best friend would you want to go out with her?" Or, "Do you ever think about your ex girlfriend when I'm in the room or in the apartment somewhere?" The reluctance to answer these questions is of course a given. But finally, after much pleading and promising ("No, I won't get mad, I promise"), the poor fellow would give in, and I would slowly heat to boiling.

Oh the shame, the shame!

There's a lot to be said for growing up. In my case, though, I think there's a lot more to be said for being single.

4 comments:

  1. I have never been a fan of these questions at all. They scream of INSECURITY! I wonder why the film maker decided to make the prostitute Black? I'm not gonna lie to you Inez, but the Black prostitute in films bother me, as I'm tired of Black women being treated as disposable and festisized constantly. We have so many more dimensions to us then the Hottentot Venus . Sorry to post jack with this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very curious moment in the film. The wife wants to know more about what happened, and the man says that it happened in NY, and almost as an afterthought says, "And she was black." To which his wife responds, "That's disgusting." This, of course, was a response that totally shaped my reading of the wife for remainder of the film.

    No need to apologize! I could have told the story without mentioning it, but I didn't. It was such a throwaway comment, which in itself was incredibly revealing. The European guys heads off to NY and hooks up with a black prostitute, and then years later the fact that she was black becomes a symbol in the wife's mind of just how disgusting her husband's behavior was to her. There are no accidents in filmmaking, so I'm left with the assumption that I was meant to make something of that. What I took away, as a black woman, was no doubt something a bit different that what the director intended, but that's the thing about film: who knows who your audience will ultimately be and how they will read your film?

    And as for the ICK factor in being fetishized and all that stuff, I see another blog post ;-)

    Thanks my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two people involved in a relationship isn't the problem.

    Two people getting together for sex and perhaps reproduction isn't a problem

    Where the problem occurs is when Religion and other peoples opinion of how we should live and have relationships come in to be the way its suppose to be and even pass laws to say what a relationship has to be.

    Some where it was said. Why do humans have such a cultural misteak and laws surrounding such and essential biological function.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I can't speak for anybody else Marty, but it's been a very long time since religion or societal norms had anything to do with my problems in relationships. I'm gonna have to take full responsibility for my insecurities . . . which of course led to some of those bad choices ("Okay, yeah I'll go out with you") that only increased the insecurities.

    Bono said that Love is blindness, but I think it's more like madness. The very idea of opening your heart up for someone, of being able to trust someone with the only real thing you have to offer . . . pure insanity ;-)

    I'm sure, though, that it's a risk that can be worth it if one pays attention and chooses wisely.

    ReplyDelete